Tow Cable Retractor for Piper PA-25 Pawnee.
The tow cable retractor with guillotine (CRG) provides a number of important advantages:
- Increased flight safety and lower costs through elimination of the cable drop curve
- Considerably diminished noise levels for residents near airfields, since aircraft needs less engine power during decent and can land directly
- No cable drop with potential risk to persons or aircraft
- Reduced fuel consumption through shorter flight and taxi time
- No delays in aircraft starts because of tracing and retrieving tow cables
- Longer tow cable life because of reduced ground contact and contamination
- Low weight of system (approx. 8 kg including tow cable)
- Low maintenance thanks to simple construction
- Cable retraction monitored visually and electrically
- Only minor (reversible) modifications to aircraft necessary for mounting
The Tow Retractor has the following components: Retraction winch, cable traction unit with integrated stop plate and guillotine, and electric switch unit.
The retraction winch is mounted on a base plate which is attached to the fuselage of the towing aircraft behind the seat. This equipment can be dismounted, if necessary, in approx. 30 minutes. The main components are a 12VDC motor (standard) with a slip clutch, motor bracket, cable drum and cable cover. The tow rope passes through or under the fuselage to the cable stop plate in an aluminum cable duct.
The new traction unit with integrated stop plate and guillotine is bolted to the existing towing frame. The guillotine is activated by the existing release cable.
The cable load is taken up by the stop plate via a sleeve crimped to the towing cable. Towing may start only after the sleeve has come firmly to rest against the stop plate.
The towing cable is 6mm in diameter and has a standard length of 50 meters. The cable is terminated by an aluminum end piece, complete with weak link and ring pair (specify breaking load of weak link when ordering).
Once the glider has been released, the electric switch unit starts the retracting winch. Operation can be checked in the rearview mirror. After the cable has been fully rewound - red marking on the end of the cable is visible - the motor switches off automatically.
Please contact Wings and Wheels for additional information.